Saturday, February 19, 2011

defining space with light. . .

For our first studio project of the semester, our goal was to define space within a 12x18 box using only light.  In order to create 4 specific areas within the box, I experimented with cutouts and the angle of the light source.  I kept thinking of Tadao Ando's use of light in the churches he designed. . .

from nocriticsallowed.blogspot.com
I made the cutouts in the box off center, and after some experimentation, elongated the rectangles to wrap around the sides of the box. 

The help define the space further, I used bristol board and bamboo skewers to bend the light and create shadow. 

The overall effect reminded me of an outdoor pavillion, so I created a scale figure to be the speaker.

(pics coming soon!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey man, what did thumper's dad say? "If you don't got nuttin nice to say, don't say nothing at all."
I'm not petty, but I'll block you. So be like the fonz. . . be cool.