Saturday, February 19, 2011

defining space with light. . .

For our first studio project of the semester, our goal was to define space within a 12x18 box using only light.  In order to create 4 specific areas within the box, I experimented with cutouts and the angle of the light source.  I kept thinking of Tadao Ando's use of light in the churches he designed. . .

from nocriticsallowed.blogspot.com
I made the cutouts in the box off center, and after some experimentation, elongated the rectangles to wrap around the sides of the box. 

The help define the space further, I used bristol board and bamboo skewers to bend the light and create shadow. 

The overall effect reminded me of an outdoor pavillion, so I created a scale figure to be the speaker.

(pics coming soon!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment