Monday, November 1, 2010

what can be made with a 2x4?

Using an 18 inch piece of 2x4 and the tools in the shop, we were each to create a connected system of parts.  Joinery obviously played a major role in the learning curve of this project, along with using the appropriate tool to achieve the desired result.

My first idea was to make something like a house of cards, with each wooden "card" having puzzle piece type ends so that they locked together.


I immediatly realized the importance of the ratio of the depth of the notch to the thickness of the joining piece.  I also found that when cutting very thin pieces of wood, they are strongest when the grain of the wood is longest.  For example, a day or so after ripping the wood vertically, I found that some of my pieces were begining to bend, following the curvature of the growth rings from the tree. 


In exploring design concepts, I wanted to create something useful, like a shelf that was able to be hung on the wall.  In combining the two ideas, I came up with a modular shelving system that locked together in a puzzle piece like fashion.





Unfortunatly,
I also learned that the little wooden notches easily break off when gravity is applied,
and that they make great cat toys.



An emergency re-design proved to be
successful, sleek, and more stable than the original project concept. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey man, what did thumper's dad say? "If you don't got nuttin nice to say, don't say nothing at all."
I'm not petty, but I'll block you. So be like the fonz. . . be cool.