Wednesday, November 10, 2010

some of my observational sketches. . . .

One of the things I try to do when given a sketching assignment is try to think of objects that are not typical solutions.  In sketching "light coming through water/bottles", I choose this water cooler because I thought it added variety amongst sketches of regular plastic water bottles.  This sketch was one of my quickest, at about 15 minutes, and was done in my home.

An upside down wine glass shows captures light reflection and, again, adds some variety.  I spent 20-30 minutes on this sketch at home.

 This was my 2x4 project, before it underwent it's "emergency redesign".  This sketch took a little over 1/2 hour.

One of the individual pieces of the modular 2x4 shelving system.  I spent about 15 minutes on this sketch, and really think it was one of my more successful "quick" sketches, because of it's layout and simplicity.

Everyone groaned when the assignment for sketching self-portraits was given, myself included.  It's been about 7 years since I even attempted doing a self portrait, so for my first sketch I used a photograph and the grid system.  This one took about an 1  1/2 hours to complete.

I practiced a few more times using different techniques and methods, and this one is probably my favorite drawing I've done in pencil ever.  I used smudge sticks to shade in large areas of value and then went back in with a variety of pencil weights and to add definition and detail.  This self portrait took just over 1 1/2 hours to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey man, what did thumper's dad say? "If you don't got nuttin nice to say, don't say nothing at all."
I'm not petty, but I'll block you. So be like the fonz. . . be cool.